[Xorg] DRI merging

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 12:25:16 PDT 2004

--- Ely Levy <elylevy at cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> If it's like you say why not pick up the glove and
> create a tree for it?
> orginize a tree with a workplan I'm sure most people would be happy to
> contribute, I know I would.

The work is already underway:
mesa-solo is here: http://mesa3d.sourceforge.net/fbdev-dri.html
xserver is here: http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xserver
glitx is here: http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/glitz

mesa-solo - provides a standalone OpenGL environment without the need for X.
mesa-solo has 3D hardware acceleration for the same cards as DRI. For non-3D
cards it uses software mesa to write to the framebuffer.

xserver - keithp's next generation X server. It know about things like alpha
blending natively.

glitz - an implementation of the Cairo API on OpenGL. Glitz has also implemented
the X render engine in OpenGL. keithp is in the middle of adding the the OpenGL
render engine to xserver.

The basic idea is, you start with a standalone OpenGL stack. OpenGL is a high
level API with lots of room for future hardware improvement.  The OpenGL stack
may either be the freedesktop one or one from Nvidia/ATI.

On top of that runs xserver. xserver does all of it's drawing via OpenGL. This
means everything will be accelerated. Remote X, xft, etc are still there -
xserver is just a variation of XFree86 with XAA removed. xlib still works,
xserver just uses OpenGL to do the drawing.

Cario/Glitz is the next layer. xserver exposes the OpenGL layer in the same way
DRI works. Glitz is written to use OpenGL in a fully accelerated, direct
rendered environment. It will also work remotely.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com