[Xorg] DRI merging

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Jun 13 15:05:46 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 12:35 -0700, Jon Smirl wrote:

> 2) copy of the user space code from XFree86 into a standalone library - now you
> have to be root to play with the chip.
> 3) Add a couple of IOCTLs to DRM to support modes/cursors. Do as much of the
> work as possible in user space and just pass final register values to the
> IOCTLs.
>
> I would like to see #3. I have implemented #3 locally for the radeon but there
> is no acceptance for adding it to main DRM drivers.

Of course, you neglect to mention the reasons for that. For one, you
haven't presented an interface yet that you have shown to remove the
need to be root and a significant amount of code from the kernel at the
same time. Obviously, immature solutions can't go into the DRM trunk and
consequently the kernel because if they don't work out, they can become
maintenance nightmares. You have repeatedly been encouraged to develop a
prototype system on branches or separate trees though. Don't wait for
everyone else to drop everything else.