[Xorg] HEADSUP: DRI merged

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Wed Jun 16 11:50:50 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 07:26, Ely Levy wrote:
> Hey,
>
> just for my general knowladge:)
> what insecure about
> - Mach64 DRI support (insecure)
> - Savage DRI support (insecure)
> how is it diffrent from other dris?

Enabling them is essentially "local root hole for anyone who can use the
DRI" because the DMA capabilities of the card could be used to scrape
physical memory for info.  I might note that by default the DRI sets the
modes on /dev/dri such that only root can use it anyway, but hints for
Section "DRI" are so popular that basically everyone uses them without
knowing what it could mean (which, according to our current standards
for security of released drivers, is "DRI users can hang the machine").

> and what's
> - fbconfigs support?

GL stuff related to visuals.  A requirement for pbuffers.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org