[Xorg] Xfbdev acceleration.

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Wed Jun 16 15:42:13 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 08:06, Michael Frey wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have been using Xfbdev from the XFree86 branch for some time.  I
> added acceleration code to fbdev for an Epson chip I am using.  It
> works great.
> I want to move to the freedesktop.org Xfbdev server and I am having
> trouble moving my blt code over.  I noticed that the new server uses
> offscreen pixmaps for acceleration.
>
> My video card does not have enough memory for offscreen pixmaps and
> only has enough memory for the on-screen frame buffer.  If I fill out
> in fbinit.c my functions for acceleration they never get called because
> in fbdev.c
>      screen->memory_size = 0;
>      screen->off_screen_base = 0;
>
> I tried changing the memory setting to be the memory size of my board
> but with no luck.
>
> Is there a way to enable acceleration without using offscreen pixmaps
> the way the old kdrive used to do it?

To add acceleration for a card, you shouldn't have to touch the
hw/kdrive/fbdev/*.  Add your code to a new driver, and use the fbdev
functions to do the mode setting for you.  You can see an example of
this, but with the vesa vs fbdev backend changeable, in the Xati driver
or several others in the tree.

The KAA_OFFSCREEN_PIXMAPS flag is what controls whether offscreen
pixmaps are used or not.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org