[Xorg] New commiter process?

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 20:55:03 PDT 2004

I know we're not going to switch but I'll put in my monthly plug for
Bitkeeper since I use it to work on the kernel. Bitkeeper has a two way
real-time CVS bridge that tracks everything. This lets kernel
developers who refuse to use Bitkeeper continue using CVS. The kernel
source is available via the bridge in CVS format so there is no data
lock-in with Bitkeeper file formats. Larry is also working on a scheme
for securely tracking who contributed what to a source tree (to address
future SCO's).

I do believe a peer based version control system is way, way, way
better than CVS. Using one would probably eliminate a lot of the
arguments we have.

--- Daniel Stone <daniel at freedesktop.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 05:42:24PM +0000, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 13:14 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > > Xorg isn't switching anytime soon though for purely logistic
> reasons,
> >
> > The rebuttal to that would be that a distributed SCM tool is better
> > "logistically" than CVS, but sheesh some say Emacs is better than
> Vi.
>
> The problem is that tools to do these conversions are just not quite
> there yet and, well:
> 640M    /cvs/xorg
>
> Right now everyone knows CVS and can work with it. Getting everyone
> who
> uses X over to arch (which involves switching the X.Org, fd.o
> xlibs/xapps/xserver, DRI and possibly XFree86 repositories) is a
> *lot*
> of work, and something that needs to be planned a long time before it
> happens, involve everyone, and have a couple of people dedicated to
> the
> task.
>
> We fail on the last point alone (I don't have the time, and I don't
> think anyone else does).
>
> --
> Daniel Stone
> <daniel at freedesktop.org>
> freedesktop.org: powering your desktop
> http://www.freedesktop.org
>

> ATTACHMENT part 1.2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com