[Xorg] Introduce DRI_VERSION?

Jens Owen jens at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Jun 17 08:09:03 PDT 2004

Thomas Winischhofer wrote:

> Would you DRI guys mind adding a #define for DRI_VERSION_CURRENT in the
> same style as XORG_VERSION_CURRENT so that changes like the types from
> drmHandle -> drm_handle_t can be handled smoothly with the C
> preprocessor for older versions?
>
> Point being: I would like to compile my DDX driver with both XFree86 and
> X.org as I don't have time to maintain two or more versions. Since the
> preprocessor can't check for typedefs (AFAIK...) a DRI_VERSION_CURRENT
> would come extremely handy.
>
> That shouldn't cause too much hassle...

Thomas,

Versioning has always been a tricky issue for DRI developers, and
consequently keeping version numbering simple and up to date is important.

I'd encourage you to considering using/enhancing the existing DRI and
DRM versioning.  For example, I'm wondering if the runtime version
already built into DRM would help.  It could be extended to use compile
time #define's in places where we currently hard code constants, for
example in drmGetLibVersion it looks like the minor version was just
bumped to 2.  The source for the linux version of this example be seen at:

   xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/os-support/linux/drm/xf86drm.c

--
                                /\
          Jens Owen            /  \/\ _