[Xorg] Detecting server version?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Thu Jun 17 11:35:24 PDT 2004

Hey Guys,

I have been quiet on these mailing lists for a while as we have been
slaving away on PowerPC support in our products. I am back working on our
X Server drivers again, and working on adding support for the X.org
servers. Part of our previous installer detects the installed XFree86
version to determine which module we should be installing. To do this we
look at the 'X -version' string and parse the XFree86 version number from
that.

Looking at the Xorg server output for the -version command it appears all
that changed was the first string that contained the XFree86 version
indentifier was removed, and the Release was upped to 6.7 from 6.6. I can
easily detect the initial X.org release by looking at the 6.7 string, but
I need to know if this version number is going to be revved for each
X.org official release.

Ie: will the next release from X.org be versioned as R6.8? If not, we
need to seriously considering putting some kind of release versioning
into the X server so third party driver installers like ours can detect
the server version correctly and install the correct driver modules based
on that information.

For now I will assume the 6.7 will change to 6.8, so I can get our
installer done. If that isn't the case we will need to fix it before the
next release ;-)

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~