[Xorg] Projects suggestions

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Fri Jun 18 10:18:44 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 11:59, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> And yet another large group of people find web forums much worse than mailing
> lists.  It's a rare website that I can get around to visiting on a regular
> basis - forums are just much harder to follow and participate in than a mailing
> list or newsgroup.  Perhaps that's just proof that we should have both (and
> perhaps a gateway between the two) so that users can pick the medium they prefer.

One might consider looking at the Google Groups 2 Beta running right
now.  Most of the users of my software are the type that prefer forums
over mailing lists, while I myself prefer the mail lists.  GG2 merges
them quite nicely; it basically provides a web-based mail archive to a
mailing list with the ability to send new messages to the list using a
web form.  You can still require that users sign up to the list before
posting, even on line, and the sign up form makes it very easy to
request no mail for web-only users.  Other than the bugs (again, the
service is in beta) it really is quite neat.

http://groups-beta.google.com/

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.