[Xorg] Re: Adding DMX to XFree86

Ian Romanick idr at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 23 11:30:38 PDT 2004

Kevin E Martin wrote:

> I think many of us would very much like to have hardware accelerated
> indirect rendering, and from time to time there has been talk of adding
> it to the DRI project.  It's actually been on the "to do" list for the
> DRI project from the original design days, but it's a large project and
> there was little interest in funding it back when I was with PI and VA.
> I'm still hopeful that it will eventually happen.

The current thinking is to, essentially, 'rm -rf xc/programs/Xserver/GL'
and re-write it so that libglx.a loads a device-dependent *_dri.so, like
the client-side libGL does.  The advantage being that only one driver
binary will be needed per-device.  The support and maintainence
advantages should be obvious.

Work has been started on an Xlib based DRI driver (something of a
contradiction in terms, I know) by Adam Jackson.  I've started writing
Python scripts to automatically generate GLX protocol handling code (for
both client-side and server-side).  We're getting closer to starting the
"real" work, but I need to clear a few things off my plate first.

My goal is to start a branch in the DRI tree in the next few (3 to 4)
months to get this work going.