[Xorg] Input device hotplug

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 11:52:12 PDT 2004

--- Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:
> > On Linux 2.6 you can put an executable in /etc/hotplug.d/input and
> it
> > will be run whenever a new device is add/removed. The
> program/script
> > could check if xserver is running and tell it about the new device.
>
> Yeah, that's a more lean solution, but HAL has some nice features I
> think could be useful: you can attach persistent, per-user properties
> HAL devices, for example, if you want X to ignore a device, you could
>
> set xorg.ignore=true.
>
> Another nice feature is device info files (.fdi files), which is a
> way
> to add properties to a device that match certain criteria.  For
> example,
> if a device has usb.vendor="wacom", the fdi-file could add a
> xorg.driver="wacom" property.
>
> The daemon that listen to HAL events would use these properties to
> avoid
> adding devices the user wants to ignore and load the right driver for
>
> wacom tablets etc.

You many also need need hotplug features combined with udev. Udev
supports things like getting serial numbers from the device so that
when mouse X is plugged in it always get assigned to the correct X
server if more than one is running. udev also lets you set the owner of
the device to other than root. I believe HAL is implemented on top of
hotplug/udev.

> > This doesn't work for PS/2 devices right now but that is a known
> > problem and on the queue to be fixed.
>
> That's interesting, how is that done?  Is there an interrupt when
> PS/2
> devices are plugged in or is it solved by polling?

I don't know how this will work, I reported the problem to the
maintainer and he said he was already working on a solution.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com