[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Jun 29 08:15:52 PDT 2004

Well actually there are two or three related issues here

1. Multiple video cards means making RAC work across *multiple* X
servers running at once on a system each with its own console

2. PCI config has to go via the kernel, including some kind of
arbitration for VGA enables. Bashing PCI config ports directly will
crash machines and (I'm told) also lead to memory and I/O corruption
on AMD64 IOMMU..

3. Borrowing things like BIOS mode switch functionality is going to
get really hairy.

Has anyone in the original design of the resource arbitration logic
considered the multi-server issue ?