Debugging X.org drivers?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Mon Nov 1 15:38:54 PST 2004

Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de> wrote:

> > Yep, that was me.  Feel free to drop me a line if you have any trouble making
> > dlloader modules work.
>
> I had trouble until I cleaned /usr/X11R6/lib/modules. I still had
> old non-DLL module laying around that would be loaded instead of
> the new .so-ones causing relocation errors in the referencing
> module. In my case savage_drv.so could not relocate xf86DoEDID_DDC1
> when libddc.a was loaded instead of libddc.so. The result was a
> crashed Xserver. I didn't even get an error message in Xorg.0.log.
> It only printed an error message on the text console. Maybe we
> should make xf86LoadSubModule prefer .so-modules over .a-modules.
> And could relocation errors be handled more gracefully (not sure if
> this is technically possible with lazy relocations)?

Thanks for the tip! I had not thought of that, but that would explain
some of the errors I so when I tried to use 4.3.0 way back when. I will
keep that in mind when I do the install (make should be done by now ;-).

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~