code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Mon Nov 1 17:00:42 PST 2004

Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:

> On Monday 01 November 2004 18:38, Kendall Bennett wrote:
> > Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > > Backing store and XAA are mutually exclusive.  If you do an
> > > XAA-accelerated operation to a region with a backing store, then
> > > you invalidate the backing store.  Woops.
> > >
> > > XAA goes to a lot of effort to accelerate the primitives no one
> > > uses, and desperately needs to be taken out behind the barn and
> > > shot.  KAA accelerates probably a tenth of the ops XAA
> > > accelerates, but they're the right tenth so the code is simpler
> > > and the performance way better.
> >
> > KAA? Is that the new driver model that Keith was working on, or something
> > else? Where do I find more information on this.
>
> Yes, it's the AA in kdrive.

Is this being actively used in production code right now, or is it still
in development? Ie: are there any drivers that use in the regular X.org
tree. I would love to switch over as I am not too fond of XAA, but it
needs to be something that will work out of the box with existing
installs.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~