Debugging X.org drivers?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Mon Nov 1 17:00:42 PST 2004

Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:

> On Monday 01 November 2004 18:38, Kendall Bennett wrote:
> > Will do, thanks! I am glad this will be working. How hard would it be to
> > get it working in say 4.3.0 as well? We have some work we need to do in
> > 4.3.0, and although we usually back port from R6.8.1, if we get bugs in
> > 4.3.0 or other versions we are still stuck trying to debug them.
>
> It's effectively an ABI bump, so you have to be willing to replace
> the core modules (libxaa, etc) as well as update the drivers.
> It's not too tough though.  I might have to dig a bit to get all
> the relevant diffs together, but the changes to the core (XAA and
> friends) were pretty straightforward and ought to be easy to
> extract from CVS.

Ok. I will work with X.org for the moment and we can try to back port it
if we need to.

> > Although we have also been working at getting the Open Watcom debugger to
> > debug GCC generated binaries. I think that is about 95% complete right
> > now, and when it is done I may end up using that debugger instead of GDB.
> > It will run in a console with text windowing and everything! Plus I am
> > pretty sure it will be easy to teach it how to debug X modules, since we
> > taught it how to understand SNAP modules very easily.
>
> If the OpenWatcom debugger can handle DSOs opened with dlopen(), then it
> should have no trouble with the dlloader modules.

Actually I meant debugging native X modules, not dlloader modules. That
way we can debug all the way back to XFree86 4.0.2 which we continue to
support ;-)

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~