Misterious Xorg 6.8.1 keyboard problem

Sergei Mutovkin msergei at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 09:13:31 PST 2004

Hello,

I have the following strange problem which is not affected by the
driver option I choose (either "kbd" or "keyboard").
1. When I init into console mode and then run startx - everything works fine...
2. When I init into init level 5 (graphical) with the following script executed:

-------------------
start)
        echo "Starting XServer ..."
        /bin/su - hydra -c 'PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin startx &> /dev/null' &
        xpid=$(pidof -s X)
        while [ -z $xpid ]; do
            sleep 1
            xpid=$(pidof -s X)
        done
        echo $xpid > /var/run/X.pid
        ;;
-------------------

X startx with required application, but keyboard is disfunctional. Tab
or Num Lock buttons don't even switch the lights.

What's even more interesting is that that in Xorg.0.log I see:
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/kbd_drv.o
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
and later
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)

Is there any hints on what can be going wrong in my system? (Keyboard
is standard PS/2 keyboard)...

P.S. During X inititialization X seems to probe many different modes
(like Mode: 120 (1600x1200)) even though I have only one defined in
xorg and I use vesa or savage drivers. How can I stop this  probing
happening on each X start?

Thank you very much in advance,
Sergei