xf86CheckBeta() and friends

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Nov 12 11:51:38 PST 2004

Around 10 o'clock on Nov 12, Daniel Stone wrote:

> It's bad because we don't want to walk the closed-source route.

While I may agree with you in fact, I disagree with this particular
arguement.  It has nothing to do with closed vs open source; the reality
is that most people *don't* rebuild X for themselves, and the 'beta' flag
provides distributions with a mechanism for encouraging people to get the
released version of software instead of continuing to use potentially
buggy software.

As the code is open source, this can't force people to upgrade, but it can
make it painful to continue running older code.

And, to that, all I can say is that whoever thought of this clearly never
spent a lot of time doing tech support.  A working computer is far more
valuable to most people than running 'approved' versions of software.

Having your machine stop functioning because of some arbitrary time bomb
is the worst kind of software torture; worse in many ways than dongles and
other nasty closed-source tactics.

-keith