Xgl server

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sat Nov 13 11:16:43 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 01:03 +0100, David Reveman wrote:
> I've been doing some work to get an X server running on top of
> OpenGL/glitz and I've got something that works pretty well now.

Very cool!

> With a good OpenGL driver and some luck, you should be able to run most
> applications on it.

Unfortunately, it's not really usable for me with the r200 DRI driver.
Is that due to the lack of pbuffers?

> However, you should know that the Xglx server is really simple, there's
> no real cursor

Any plans to change that?

> and compared to the Xnest server, Xglx must always run on top of all
> other windows as the back buffer is used for pixmap memory.

I didn't see the connection between these two things, so I whipped up a
patch that handles Expose events. Now this might be a horrible way of
doing it, in which case I'd appreciate an appropriate clue bat being
applied to me. :) I certainly prefer this over not handling exposures at
all though.

The patch also fixes a segfault in fbPixmapToRegion() that gets
triggered for me sometimes when running GNOME in Xglx.