creating true transparent widgets

Christian Parpart trapni at gentoo.org
Sun Nov 14 16:22:31 PST 2004

Hi all,

I try to learn more about true (semmi-)transparent widgets using
keith's hacked xterm:
 http://freedesktop.org/~keithp/xterm-trans.tar.gz

Thx for the link, I really had to search these source
files very long, because I was just grepping for any
XComposite/XTrans/XFixes/XDamage patterns;

So, as far as I understand: this source, main.c, is just passing a
modulated ARGB pixel value to XSetWindowBackground(dpy, win, pixel);
where pixel is just the ARGB value (32bits, A upper 8bits, ..., and
B lower 8bits).
Before passing the background pixel to XSetWindowBackground, their
RGB value is multiplied by (A / 255); (why exactly?)
Please correct me if I'm wrong;
But as far as I do understand, this is really XComposite independant;
Okay, I do not know since when XSetWindowBackground() exists and since
when it can be passed an alpha value, but this is the client side, and the
server needs to interpret these alpha values and modulate the pixel values
accordingly (to the window tree).

But if it's that easy, why is no other application using it already
(like Eterm/aterm/konsole/etc...)?

Please correct me on anything wrong/missing as I'm yet very new to the
internals of Xcomposite and related.

Thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.

ps: is this the right place to ask for xlib / x11 client api related coding
questions? if not, please follow up me :)

--
Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
 00:04:34 up 16 days, 16:34,  1 user,  load average: 0.14, 0.32, 0.41