Xgl server

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Nov 14 17:59:19 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 00:10 +0100, David Reveman wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 14:16 -0500, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 01:03 +0100, David Reveman wrote:
> >
> > > However, you should know that the Xglx server is really simple, there's
> > > no real cursor
> >
> > Any plans to change that?
>
> Yes, sure. We probably only want hw cursors with Xglx, so it's basically
> just to copy the cursor stuff in Xnest into xglx.c.

Well, that still doesn't seem to support ARGB cursors. Would 'software'
cursors take advantage of OpenGL as well?

> > > and compared to the Xnest server, Xglx must always run on top of all
> > > other windows as the back buffer is used for pixmap memory.
> >
> > I didn't see the connection between these two things, so I whipped up a
> > patc88h that handles Expose events. Now this might be a horrible way of
> > doing it, in which case I'd appreciate an appropriate clue bat being
> > applied to me. :) I certainly prefer this over not handling exposures at
> > all though.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, GLX doesn't ensure that the contents of the back
> buffer is unmodified when the window is covered by another window. This
> means that as the back buffer is used for pixmaps, exposures might
> destroy pixmap content.

Ah, I didn't think of that. With most DRI drivers, the back buffer
contents will indeed be destroyed when the window is covered by another
GLX window at least because there is a single shared back buffer.

> > The patch also fixes a segfault in fbPixmapToRegion() that gets
> > triggered for me sometimes when running GNOME in Xglx.
>
> I've committed an appropriate fix for this. Can you please check that it
> works OK now. Thanks for noticing!

No problem, seems to work, thanks.