Matrox G550 driver source and AMD64

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:02:00 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:39:46 -0700, James Earl <james at icionline.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just recently built an AMD64 based system using an Asus A8V Deluxe
> motherboard and a Matrox G550 graphics card.  I'm running FreeBSD
> 5.3-RELEASE/amd64.
>
> I have a slight issue in that I can't use Matrox's binary drivers any
> longer now that I'm using FreeBSD amd64.  I did notice that Matrox
> provides driver source (mgadriver-4.0-src.tar.gz).
>
> Would it be possible to integrate this into X.org in future releases so
> that the mga_hal_drv.o is no longer required to be downloaded from
> Matrox?
>
> ...or, is there anyway that I may be able to learn how to build this
> mga_hal_drv.o myself if Matrox doesn't allow their sources to be bundled
> with Xorg?

matrox does not provide the source to the HAL module.  the source you
can download from their site is just a variation on the mga driver in
the xorg/xfree86 trees.  All of the features supported in the HAL
module are supported in the linux mga kernel mga fb driver.  Several
people have been working on porting that feature set to xorg.  You can
find the g400 specs on the web.  they should be useful for all g4/5xx
chips.  the DVI and tv-out stuff would have to be ported from the
kernel mga fb driver.

Alex