Old rage based card has poor damage control recovery.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 2 00:58:13 PDT 2004

On Friday 01 October 2004 22:40, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I have an old 233 mhz P2 in the woodshop running FC2 and its yum
>> style up2date as of yesterday.
>>
>> It runs ok for an old klunk, but if inactive long enough for the
>> blank screen blanker to kick in, then the recovery is horrible,
>> the only thing redrawn when the mouse is moved to wake it up is
>> the outside border and the mouse as it moves.  You have to see if
>> you can find the mouse, move it to the bottom of the screen and
>> wipe it back and forth enough to find the pager, then switch
>> screens, which switches backgrounds before it will redraw a
>> useable screen.
>>
>> The video card in it is a rage based card, but only has 4 megs of
>> ram. Is this fixable, or am I out another 80 bucks for another
>> xtacy 9200SE radeon?  Anything else seems to be well over 100
>> bucks locally.  As in Yeeeouch!  The most active game it might
>> play is sol.
>>
>> Oh, and its running gnome.
>
>Could you try to find out what causes this ?
>
>You can try to use "xset" to cause the Xserver blank manually.
>Check which of the different ways to blank (plain blank, dpms
> levels, etc.)

The monitor is a quite new Samtron 17", does dpms and all that without
any problems.  The blanker I'm using is the blank screen.

>If this works properly, then the problem is likely with standalone
>screensaver.
>
>Lastly - does switching to console and back repaints the screen ?

I believe that does do a redraw ok IF it doesn't crash, it has done
that several times requireing a reset after the ctl+alt+F1.  I'll
investigate that sequence for proper functioning with the newest
kernel the next time I fire it up.  Thanks.

--
Cheers Vladimir, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)