Software emulation of shaders.. sw-shader

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Oct 2 14:06:01 PDT 2004

On Sad, 2004-10-02 at 22:43, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > That looks very cool. I hope someone copies the code into mesa.
>
> I hope they don't, Mesa is BSD now and according to their sf project page
> sw-shader is {L,}GPL:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/sw-shader

LGPL is fine for most things. It would depend how the Mesa and X folks
feel but it doesn't "leak" into the licensing of other code which is the
usual concern. It's also the kind of thing where you could (and you
_would_) want to have it only as an option. Mesa runs on a lot more
platforms than swshader, and I don't see swshader for PPC64 being a
trivial port 8)

Alan