problem with fonts and Xft

Marius Hillenbrand marius at sirius.inka.de
Mon Oct 4 23:34:40 PDT 2004

Hi,

Yesterday I've begun my switch to X11R6.8.1 (from XFree86 4.3 before) -
mainly because of the better support for my Radeon 9200 SE (hope for 3D).
The build was without problems, I even managed to install the manual pages
(install.man helps ;-) ).

But: Just starting over kdm (after generating xorg.conf, of course)
resulted in a mess. The fonts were invisible and in totally wrong metrics.
For example the login etc. buttons in kdm are empty and larger than usual
and the kdm login window does not fit the screen.
Directly using startx resulted in same behaviour, the graphices itself is
alright, but fonts are invisible and "too large".

Old little xterm, started from .xsession, worked alright, however.
So I assume the problem lies with the Xft extension, which is used by KDE
(IMHO).

The underlying system is Debian woody (+dirty updates) on i386 (K7).
The problem is "critical", since the system is my parents' one (was enough
work to convert them to Linux).

Does anybody have the slightest idea what may cause the problem or where to
look for bad configuration / check libraries ???

Strangely, reverting to XFree86 4.3 (tarred /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11) does
downgrade to XF 4.3, but the problem now arises there, too.
My backup didn't cover /etc/fonts, is fonts.conf or local.conf "powerful"
enough to cause this problem ??

Thank you very much in advance,
Marius Hillenbrand
--