Xorg version number change

Donnie Berkholz spyderous at gentoo.org
Sun Oct 10 22:31:09 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 22:13 -0700, Daniel Stone wrote:
> That's not a valid reason -- if it can't be justified for any reasons
> other than historic, then it can't be justified.  Of course, we have to
> consider the weight of inertia wrt current behaviour, but since we're
> changing anyway, we have to look at justifications for every option.
> And so far I've only seen one justification for /usr/X11R7, and that's
> not, IMO, a very good one (should we do $HOME/install/x, as I have on
> some of my machines?).

The transition to R7 would be an appropriate time to change the install
location (at least on Linux, if not everywhere), since the other thing
being changed is related (build system).

If there are vociferous objections from the UNIX folks, we could easily
turn it off and default to something else on specific OS's.

I've already been experimenting with putting some X things in with
everything else on the system in the standard, FHS locations. It's gone
pretty well so far with backwards-compat symlinks in place to ease the
transition and deprecate the old locations.

It's a real mess to figure out where in the imake jungle the settings
for moving things around properly are, though.
--
Donnie Berkholz
Gentoo Linux