Plans for dynamically re-configurable X server

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 06:39:00 PDT 2004

Has anyone started working on this?  Is there an API in the works?
Perhaps something like Xv attributes, only for the Xserver itself
rather than overlay specific?  The last time I brought this up was
prior to xorg, and as I recall, some of the powers that be at the
time, said there was something in the works, but I haven't heard
anything since.  xrandr covers some of the functionality, but it's not
fully functional, and it'd be nice to support more chip specific stuff
like enabling/adjusting/disabling tv-out, dualhead, power management,
re-run DDC, and other tweakable settings.  Most drivers could handle
it with fairly minimal work, but we need a system to interact with the
X server.   I guess one of the issues in memory management.  Ian is
working on a DRI memory manager and I think Alan H was working on one
as well.  While the current system isn't great, I don't think it
should be an impediment to adding configuration support.  All we would
really need is a current configuration validation function that would
enable/disable memory dependant features like the DRI, Xv, certains
depths/modes, etc. if there wasn't enough memory in the new
configuration.  Has anyone done any work on this?  Any thoughts?
Ideas?  Let's kick off some discussion.

Thanks,

Alex