Did we change PropertyNotify in the past ?

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Oct 27 10:49:48 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:56 -0700, Jay Cotton wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm working on an issue with PropertyNotify.
>
> In the X Protocol Reference Manual page 231.
>
> 	PropertyNotify event.
>
> 	<in part>
>
> 	This event is reported to clients selecting PropertyChange on the window
> 	and is generated with state NewValue ....  etc.
>
> I don't see how we ever turn this off.  There is no code that would exclude
> this notice, and I don't see where we turn it on, or filter the event.
>
> Did I miss something in the X11R5 to X11R6 transition ?

I'm a little confused by this question. Clearly:

 - Apps don't get PropertyNotify events for windows they haven't
   selected for PropertyChangeMask on.

 - Apps can select for PropertyNotify events for windows they are
   interested in.

If either wasn't true, the entire session would fall apart, either in
a storm of millions of events, or in a complete non-workingness of
ICCCM protocols.

Without digging into the server code, I assume that the question of what
clients get the events gets handled by the normal server mechanisms
for implementing SelectInput.

Regards,
						Owen