Problems getting developer access to the xorg cvs

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 29 10:23:19 PDT 2004

A member of the Looking Glass team (Amir Bukhari) has been trying
to get developer access to the xorg cvs for about a month now.
It has been an unnecessarily painful process for him. Figuring out
exactly how to go about doing this has been difficult because the
xorg documentation concerning this was out of date in that it named
Kaleb Keithly who no longer acts in the role of providing access.
My understanding is that the documentation is being updated to
instruct people to send mail to the sitewranglers alias. Unfortunately,
sitewranglers is a moderated mailing list so anyone trying to mail
to it gets a bounce which basically says that the moderator is waiting
to review your mail. This doesn't seem like a very good interface for
accepting new developers. It would be better if there were an alias
which responded to the effect that "your request for developer access
has been received and a reply will be sent shortly." People shouldn't
be required to send to an alias that they ordinarily aren't allowed to
send to in order to achieve something so basic.

Overall I think xorg needs to improve the process of accepting new
developers. If its hard for new people to join then it becomes somewhat
of an elitist club. I never would have thought that it would take more
than a month to get someone developer access.