when you start X and the monitor is completly turned of the frequenties are wrong

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Mon Sep 6 23:43:21 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 06:20:48PM -0400, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:58:45 +0200, Kristof Vansant <de_lupus at pandora.be> wrote:
> > When you start X and the monitor is completly turned of the frequenties
> > are wrong. Is there no way to let X detect that I turn on my monitor so
> > that it then scans for the right frequenties? Even after X is already
> > started. Or when I switch monitors for example without restarting X.
>
> Its wrong because it couldnt grab the DDC information. AFAIK there is
> no way around this.

Sure there is -- you have a mechanism to tell the driver to re-probe
(whether that be BIOS for most laptop panels, or DDC), and return an
appropriate list of resolutions, and then use XRANDR to change them;
this is quite probably a candidate for an extension to RandR.

But that's non-trivial to achieve, and would be hell painful.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org