AMD64 Xorg Help Needed

sam williams samiam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 13:36:39 PDT 2004

I have been running xorg.conf on an Opteron machine running Fedora
Core 2. I have a business need to get two graphics cards running. The
first card is agp based and will run a 37" LCD monitor from Sharp. The
second card is a 4 head card that is needed to run three displays.

Currently, I'm having problems, I believe because the drivers that
come with the Fedora Core 2 distribution are incomplete. Both cards
are older Matrox. The only matrox driver I have is mga. I need
"mgag200 pci" and "mgag400".  A decent "mga_hal" wouldn't hurt either
since the 37" display is digital input only.

The install is running Xorg 6.7.0. I have a couple of questions.
First, is there another source for these drivers for an Opteron based
machine. Second, if I downloaded and built 6.8.0, would I be able to
build the missing drivers? If the answer to the previous question is
yes, can I install over the top of the other xorg, or should I install
in a seperate location. Finally, does anyone have an experience
building 6.8.0 on Fedora Core 2?

I would appreciate any and all answers to these questions. I should be
able to get both graphic cards working, since I can only use the
generic "mga" driver the X-server gets confused when I try to run both
at the same time. In fact, when the pci card is installed I can no
longer get a display on the 37" monitor. Instead it shows up on
Monitor 0 from the quad card.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and hints....

Sam Williams
samiam at gmail.com
samurai at acm.org