X.Org Foundation Official Release of X Window System X11R6.8.1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 18 20:15:19 PDT 2004

On Saturday 18 September 2004 20:40, Kevin E Martin wrote:

>> > If you look at the xc/config/cf/xorg.cf file (after untarring
>> > the source tarballs), you'll see that the release version is
>> > 6.8.1 and the release date is 17 September 2004.
>>
>> It looks like sources at http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.8.1
>> were wrong (displayed 6.8.0 etc). I've checked ftp.x.org sources
>> and these are fine.

I can also confirm that the files are different even right now, and
just now am getting the X11R6.8.1-src.tar.gz from ftp.x.org.  This is
NOT the same size file as I used previously, pulled from
www.freedesktop.org and which was called xorg-6.8.1.tar.gz.  Its the
larger of the two files at 54,639,939 bytes vs this ones 54,625,740.

I've nuked the old install, and will build the new one when it gets
here.

And I hope this once again fixes the laggy cursor motions, that really
sucks.  That brief stint with 6.8.0 really spoiled me because this
laggy cursor has been my biggest bitch about x since early 1998 when I
built my first linux box and installed RH5.1 on it.

>This is very odd, and I'm wondering if there isn't something else
> going on here (since multiple people are reporting this problem).
> Could you verify with the md5sums that you have the correct
> versions downloaded?
>
>I've just re-verified that the versions on x.org, fdo and the ones I
>have here locally are identical.  I've just finished building and
>installing the release here, and have now verified that the release
>version is 6.8.1 and the date is 17 September 2004.

The one from www.freedesktop.org logs in as 6.8.  I have no idea what
this ftp.x.org version will log in as.  From my /var/log/Xorg.0.log,
while running the build from the web page downloaded file
"xorg-6.8.1-src.tar.gz":

X Window System Version 6.8.0
Release Date: 8 September 2004
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9-rc1-mm5 i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux coyote.coyote.den 2.6.9-rc1-mm5 #4 Thu
Sep 16 01:20:31 EDT 2004 i686

Now, while 6.8 was installed first, the xorg-6.8.1-src.tar.gz has been
installed over it 4 times now trying to get a 6.8.1 login out of it.

Comment: We seriously need the startup log to include the build date,
this things been rebuilt 4 or 5 times since the 8th, but there
appears to be no info in the log that could prove it.

So I'm confused at best.  And it helps to know I have a small? party
accompanying me down this trail of version confusion.  Hopefully
we'll be found before dark, if not, that someone has a flashlight. :)

I saved this unsent, logged out of X, unpacked, built and installed
the one from ftp.x.org, and finally, after several days, it logs on
like this: (no ipv6 stuff running here, I'm behind at least 2
firewalls)

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/coyote.coyote.den:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for
inet6

X Window System Version 6.8.1
Release Date: 17 September 2004
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9-rc1-mm5 i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux coyote.coyote.den 2.6.9-rc1-mm5 #4 Thu
Sep 16 01:20:31 EDT 2004 i686
Build Date: 18 September 2004

Now, lets play around and see if the intermittent laggy cursor comes
back, its good right now.  And 15 minutes worth of running it all
over this message at the normal key repeat speed of 10cps, the worst
stutter in the motion was maybe 150 milliseconds.  So I think I
finally have the right software built and installed.

So do us _all_ a favor, please kill the obviously bogus
xorg-6.8.1-src.tar.gz on the web server, and copy the one from
ftp.x.org to it and relink it for downloading.  The one on the web
page might as well be a copy of 6.7 from the way it runs.  In short,
"Its dead, Jim".

In the meantime, anybody without the above 6.8.1 logon in your
Xorg.0.log, should nuke what they have and go get the one from
ftp.x.org.  From this viewport, I *think* its the right, true 6.8.1.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)