Minimizing X.org 6.8.1 (not KDrive) to meet specs

Sergei Mutovkin msergei at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 07:01:16 PDT 2004

Thank you Francois,

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:20:04 +0200, Francois Tigeot
<ftigeot at wolfpond.org> wrote:
> You compile with -O3 and other aggressive options. You should try to use
> just -march and -Os to save space.

But as I far as I can see, my binary gets bigger (I don't think by
much), but RAM usage is more or less the same, even though there is
more inlining happening. I need maximum X performance I can get out of
Celeron CPU that I'm dealing with here...

> I have considerably reduced X.org footprint for use in thin clients.
>
> I get a 6.2 MB /usr/X11R6 and the X server uses 20-23 MB of memory with
> a 1024x768x24 display. This is with X.org 6.7.0.
>
> The system is based on FreeBSD-5 and I have created a port to build the
> X Window environment.
>
> You may want to get the sources on http://www.thinbsd.org/ and look into
> ports/Xorg-thinbsd
>
> Be aware that the build system is dependant on Eric Anholt's X.org ports
> and as such uses some patches only present in the FreeBSD ports tree.
>
> --
> Francois Tigeot

so as I understand you are saying that it is impossible to reduce
considerably size of X without additional patches?

When I build X it includes quite a number of extensions, say RENDER,
etc.. QT2.3.0 as used in Kylix 3 does not have any anti-aliasing
support and as such does not need this extension, however, I can't
find a way not to compile it in...

Also, things like Xft... if application of that time (~2001) was not
compiled with Xft support, does it use that original Font handling of
X server or Xft is still used in some compatibility mode? If Xft is
not used, is it safe to remove it completely from X?

Will be be still possible to use TTF fonts (one or two fonts actually)
without Xft?

Thank you,
Sergei