Minimizing X.org 6.8.1 (not KDrive) to meet specs

Guido Schimmels __guido__ at web.de
Thu Sep 23 12:08:07 PDT 2004

Am 23.09.2004 16:01:16 schrieb(en) Sergei Mutovkin:
> Thank you Francois,
>
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:20:04 +0200, Francois Tigeot
> <ftigeot at wolfpond.org> wrote:
> > You compile with -O3 and other aggressive options. You should try
> use
> > just -march and -Os to save space.
>
> But as I far as I can see, my binary gets bigger (I don't think by
> much), but RAM usage is more or less the same, even though there is
> more inlining happening. I need maximum X performance I can get out
> of
> Celeron CPU that I'm dealing with here...

The positive effect of inlining is most likely overcompensated by the
increased number of cache misses. Especially on cache-starved Celerons.

> Will be be still possible to use TTF fonts (one or two fonts
> actually)
> without Xft?

You can run the xfstt truetype font server in the background. But of
course this increases resource usage. And xfstt needs to be started a
few seconds before X, which is a bit tricky to hack into the boot
scripts.