New DRM driver model - gets rid of DRM() macros!

Keith Whitwell keith at tungstengraphics.com
Wed Sep 29 07:12:03 PDT 2004

Keith Whitwell wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig wrote:

>>> Pretty sure you couldn't get away with null for these in 2.4, at least.
>>

>> Umm, of course you could.  There's only a hanfull instance defining a
>> ->flush at all.  Similarly all file_ops for regular files and many char
>> devices don't have ->poll.  no ->read is pretty rare but 2.4 chæcks it
>> aswell.
>

> I tried it, led to crashes (panics, I guess) & the change had to be
> reverted.  On reverting the crashes stopped.  This was for poll and read:

Thinking about it, it may not have been a problem of crashing, but rather that
  the behaviour visible from a program attempting to read (or poll) was
different with noop versions of these functions to NULL versions, and that was
causing problems.  This is 18 months ago, so yes, I'm being vague.

The X server does look at this file descriptor, which is where the problem
would have arisen, but only the gamma & maybe ffb drivers do anything with it.

Keith