APM support on Linux?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Sep 29 13:59:01 PDT 2004

On Mer, 2004-09-29 at 20:50, Kendall Bennett wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am trying to find out how APM power management (suspend/resume) works
> on Linux. Is there some kind of message sent to the X server that it can
> hook into to handle the suspend/resume messages? If so, can someone point
> me at the code so I can figure out how this works?

For old APM stuff yes you can get apm messages. X has some bits for it.
Modern systems have all switched to ACPI and most current distributions
(non enterprise anyway as enterprise lags a little) use ACPI. The ACPI
layer has code paths that allow scripts to execute on ACPI events.
Naturally enough that can including poking X11.

Coming back from ACPI S3 is still a research topic alas

Alan