dynamic driver configuration idea...

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 23:34:38 PDT 2005

I've been thinking about this and recently after using Thomas
Winischhofer's sisctrl application wondered why we don't have a
standard method for driver configuration...

I'm thinking something like driconf does for DRI 3D drivers, but maybe
a bit more network aware, (btw driconf just writes a local .drirc
file, and it gets the config options from the actual driver binary and
this is read by the 3D client library at startup so you can have
differnet settings for different apps... etc..)

it would probably be like a super xrandr, the driver could return an
XML description of what if wants to offer, a GUI app could build a GUI
from those options and could then send the results dynamically back to
the driver to reconfigure itself.. as every driver would have
different options I wouldn't feel the need to limit it through some
interface hence XML or something like that...

Mainly I would think of CRT configurations, desktop size, driver
acceleration tweaks, like you see on Windows drivers .... also it
might have the option to write the X config file but that may not be
necessary...

I can see security issues as well with what clients can access it ..

btw I probably won't write this at all, just throwing the idea around
as that sisctrl panel doth rock when messing with TV-OUT on an SIS
laptop...

Dave.