Speedo fonts - Are they still supported?

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Mon Apr 11 07:30:28 PDT 2005

Someone just caught me in IRC with this, and I couldn't quickly
determine the answer, and don't use speedo fonts myself so I thought
I'd pass the question on here:

I've been getting some bug reports about speedo fonts not working.
The speedo module was removed from Xorg, presumeably because
freetype handles speedo fonts now (unless I am mistaken).

Can someone state canonically wether speedo fonts are still supported
or not, and wether that depends on particular freetype releases or
not?  Should it work both with the server standalone, as well as
using xfs?

If speedo is not supported however, then we should not install
the speedo font files anymore.