radeon driver, mode selection, RADEONPreInitModes()

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Apr 13 22:31:37 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 15:12 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>   2) _and_ I had DDC giving me more than one mode so we don't hit the modesFound <=1
> test. I really don't understand why this is not < 1 ....

Ok, I added a patch to my list of patches against stable at
http://gate.crashing.org/~benh/xorg/radeon-fix-one-mode-ddc.diff,

This one does change if (modesFound <= 1 || .... into
if (modesFound < 1 || ..... in 2 places, PreInitModes and
the MergedFB equivalent.

The result with this patch is that if I don't specify anything in
display/screen, or only the right mode, it works fine now. It still
breaks if I put more modes there, as I think we should pass to
xf86ValidateModes the list of modes from DDC/ModeLines when modesFound
>= 1 and not let it use it's default list which doesn't contain most
fancy flat panel ones.

Oh, finally ... i'm not too sure why we do all of that stuff only
for !CRT ... I suspect that whole piece of coded intend to do something
that is quite different from what it does in practice, but I would need
Hui advice to better understand the issue here.

Ben.