[xkb] Re: xkeyboard-config and modular release

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 15:02:36 PDT 2005

> It sounds like what you want is an extension to XKB to retrieve that,
Second order extension to X11 core protocol?:) Ok, let's talk about it
if you are interested - I would be the most happy person if the
directory information would be available through the standartized API.

> because you are trying to do things XKB was not designed to do.
Absolutely. And I am trying to live in the environment we have today -
with existing X servers xorg and xfree. And this is the environment
GNOME currently is mostly used in.

> What you have now is a broken hack that barely works when used with
> the X server it expects, and breaks completely when you replace your
> X server or remote display to a machine with a different X server.
Well, there is xmodmap fallback in GNOME 2.10 - but you are right,
since XKB is uncapable to deliver necessary information, I have to use
private X server library and build on top of it.

Returing to the original message - AFAIK it is mostly internal tools
(setxkbmap/xkbcomp) which use xorg.lst file. Regarding the org.xml
file - AFAIK only libxklavier is using it (and its structure is
visible through gnome-keyboard-properties) - which returns us to the
discussion regarding this 'broken hack'.

Sergey