render improvements

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Apr 18 14:51:16 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 23:21 +0200, Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> It is actually quite annoying because of the huge switch/case/if
> construction in fbpict.c. It would be nice if we could get rid
> of it somehow, perhaps replacing it with a hashtable mapping for
> (sfmt, mfmt, dfmt) to functions or something.

I'd like to replace that with generated code that is built from
attributes specified for each accelerated function; the generated code
could be optimized to reach 'important' functions in fewer tests than
'less important' functions.

> > b) operating on scanlines in general gives us more power to use MMX to
> > optimize the general case itself,

scanlines don't deal with filters and transforms well at all; I'd like
to see this code use square patches (8x8 or so) which seems like a good
fit for both MMX and transforms.

-keith