The DRI drawable spinlock

Thomas Hellstrom unichrome at shipmail.org
Fri Apr 22 01:44:44 PDT 2005

Hi!

Does anybody have a clear understanding of the drawable spinlock?

 From my reading of code in the X server and dri_utilities.c it is ment
to be used to stop anyone but the context holding the lock to touch the
dri drawables in a way that would change their timestamp.

The X server has a very inefficient way of checking whether a client
died while holding the drawable spinlock. It waits for 10 seconds and
then grabs it by force.

Also the usage is dri_util.c is beyond my understanding. Basically, to
lock and validate drawable info, the following happens:

get_heavyweight_lock;

while drawable_stamps_mismatch {
   release_heavyweight_lock;
   get_drawable_spinlock;
    //In dri_util.c
   do_some_minor_processing_that_can_be_done_elsewhere;
   release_drawable_spinlock;
   call_X_to_update_drawable_info;
   get_drawable_spinlock;
   //In driver.
   release_drawable_spinlock;
}

Basically no driver seems to be using it for anything, except possibly
the gamma driver, which I figure is outdated anyway?

I have found some use for it in XvMC clients: To run the scaling engine
to render to a drawable without holding the heavyweight lock for
prolonged periods, but I strongly dislike the idea of freezing the X
server for 10 secs if the XvMC client accidently dies.

Proposed changes:

1). Could we replace the locking value (which now seems to be 1) with
the context number | _DRM_LOCK_HELD. In this way the drm can detect when
the drawable lock is held by a killed client and release it.

2). Could we replace the drawable_spinlock with a futex-like lock
similar to what's used in the via drm to reserve certain chip functions.
The purpose would be to sched_yield() if the lock is contended, with an
immediate wakeup when the lock is released. This would not be backwards
binary compatible with other drivers, but it seems no up-to-date drivers
is using this lock anyway.

/Thomas