X Zoom Extension: Ideas and Suggestions!

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Thu Apr 28 11:26:26 PDT 2005

The problem is that at this level of the stack (from application, to
toolkit, to graphics library, to commands, to pixels), we're really at
too low a level to know enough about what the application needs.

Even most operations in render are pixel images (e.g. glyphs); about the
only operation you might scale successfully are traps.

Keith and I have been thinking over the issues presented by projectors
and even how one might rotate windows.  Even an affine transform is
insufficient.

A possible solution that leaves things working by dumb applications, but
allows them (and/or toolkits) to do better would be a signaling system,
in which we might inform clients (toolkits) things like: "If you render
into this pixmap over here, which has the following relationship to you
original window, you can get better (higher quality) results".

I've been thinking along these lines for rotated windows, and there
there may be (particularly with GTK moving to using Cairo for its
rendering) significant quality advantage to ask the application to
repaint once rotation has ceased at the final rotation.  Given Cairo as
under pinnings that should be do-able.

So for a magnifier application, we could just give the application a
hint: here's this other pixmap, scaled in relative to the original, and
have it repaint.

For dumb applications, you'd just get cheezy pixel level applications.
					- Jim