multiseat

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Aug 1 07:26:53 PDT 2005

On Sad, 2005-07-30 at 10:18 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> South African schools are not the only consumers of multiseat, pcie is
> aimed at different markets. Give it five years and it will be in your
> schools. You'll need the software support then.

Thats why I doubt your prediction. If it involves a labour cost or
understanding cost it'll instantly be more cost effective in the west to
use standard machines. The moment its not the standard it costs more -
and the cost rises rapidly.

It's different - as various people have noticed in the developing world,
even relatively rich parts of it like South Africa have very low labour
costs so hand tweaking is relatively cheap. Thats why you see repairable
items in heavy use - it *is* cost effective in these countries to repair
and rebuild even complex systems.

Alan