Input Devices (was: Re: [Xgl/Xegl] Input Devices )

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Thu Aug 4 11:22:01 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 13:23 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > Not really; the server implementation has all combinations of facilities
> > needed *except* for the one we need, and the code is pretty gross.
> > Kristian took a close look at this last fall before he was diverted to
> > helping complete Cairo (a correct call, btw; the pdf and postscript
> > backends are vital for it).
> >
> > Rather than just hacking something in, I'd prefer to build a proper
> > general facility, use it, and then we can gradually migrate all the
> > existing uglyness over to it, resulting in a much cleaner server
> > implementation.  I suspect it is a few weeks to a month's work to build
> > the new select/poll facility.
> > 				Regards,
> > 					- Jim
>
> So to what extent is RegisterBlockAndWakeupHandlers not adequate then?

Sorry for the slow response: my home network was broken two different
ways yesterday; today I'm down to one flaky Comcast connection, so I may
continue to have difficulty when I go home this afternoon.

Well, for a start, they don't get called when the server is being kept
busy.

The basic principle is that you have to be able to read when you block
trying to write, or you can deadlock.  Kristian made a stab at hacking
dbus in last fall, and the result was messy, and we concluded that
fixing the infrastructure would be the right way to go.  Kristian may be
able to remember exactly what difficulties were encountered.

				- Jim