Xorg 7.0 RC0 on powerbook yields garbled text

Greg Roth roth at cs.utah.edu
Thu Aug 4 16:58:51 PDT 2005

> the r300 dri driver is the 3d driver for r3/4xx hardware.  All radeon
> hardware is handled by the radeon driver for 2d and modes.
>
> Alex

I suppose this is where my experience runs a little thin. My
understanding is that each new ATI driver uses the previous driver for
certain operations. Are you alluding to the fact that the r300 driver
employs the radeon driver for 2d? I don't know what you mean by "modes".
My powerbook has a radeon 9600, which is a r350 chip. I conclude it
should be a cantidate for use with the r300 driver. I interpret this to
mean that I should be able to put "r300" in the Driver line of the Device
section of my xorg.conf and get shiny happy 3D performance as a result.
Currently, doing so produces an error that states the driver
is not found. This is to be expected since the r300 shows up in source
and not in the driver directory. I am using "radeon" there instead. That's
 what I mean by using radeon and not r300.
If I can, I'd like to enable this driver, but, as I said, it doesn't seem
to be compiling. The r300.sourceforge.net site is a bit low on details as
to how to coerce this driver to be compiled and installed. I've poked at
the problem myself, but I won't have time to try again until the weekend.
Any nudges in the right direction would be appreciated, but are not
expected. I think, given time, I can surmount this problem myself. If that
proves to be overconfident, you may hear from me again, or I'll just wait
until RC1, RC0.5, or whatever designation the next pre-release is given.

Greg