New modular server snapshot, and slight versioning change

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Aug 4 18:31:37 PDT 2005

The first modular server snapshot was numbered 6.99.99.900 to reflect the
"RC0" status.  This, it turns out, is bogus, because there are many build
fixes that need to get out there and tested faster than "only on RC dates",
but you can't increase that last number without changing the advertised RC
number.

So, that's been changed.  The xorg-server package now has a 0.99.x number like
everything else, and will continue to do so for the rest of the RCs.  The
configure.ac for the server has split numbers now, and 0.99.1 still reports
itself as 6.99.99.900.  If the need arises I can add a hack to print the
package version in the server log, but I don't think we need it yet.  For the
modular server RCs, use the newest version if you don't have Very Good Reason
not to.

The new server tarballs are up under:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/X11R7.0-RC0/xserver/

(or /everything/, for people who like all the tarballs in one place).  Many
moronic bugs fixed since the first one, Composite and GLX builds now stand a
chance of working, many Solaris and OSX fixes, etc.  Many moronic bugs
assuredly still ahead of us, so, please test.

Thanks,

- ajax