contributing new font package for xorg (fwd)

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:50:00 PDT 2005

On 8/11/05, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> Secondly X and many of the Xorg users (notably some BSD's) specifically
> want to avoid GPL material. Xorg has traditionally stayed "non-viral" so
> this would be a very large change in policy.

I don't see what the problem is with including GPL material in xorg.
It does have to be kept separate and standalone, not be linked in, and
be clearly labeled as being GPL.  Xorg is a distribution, including
GPL material in a distribution does not infect the rest of the
distribution. By keeping it isolated BSD can just do a rm on the
directory if they don't want it. There are already GPL pieces in the
xorg tree being brought over from mesa, they are isolated and easy to
remove.

I also agree that there is a licensing mess when it comes to an app
embedding GPL fonts in a document. But Xorg does not provide any apps
that embed fonts. I don't think the simple existence of such apps and
their licensing problems should be a reason for rejecting a font for
inclusion in xorg. The decision to embed or not should be made by the
user while they are using the embedding app; if they even choose to
use an app like that.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com