Ripe for adding new modelines?

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Thu Aug 11 23:15:23 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 19:23 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> I was just looking at:
>
> Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/extramodes
>
> and noticed it's been relatively unchanging the last 2-3 years...
>
> I also noticed that there are a lot of laptop and LCD monitor modes
> (such as 1680x1050 or 1920x1200) which aren't VESA norms but
> have become defacto standards.
>
> Further, timing modes for PAL/SECAM, ATSC, NTSC, and the
> various DVD and HD modes should probably also find a home
> here (like 1280x720, 1440x960, etc).
>
> With TV-out becoming more prevalent, wouldn't this be A Good
> Thing?
>
> Or am I missing something?
>
> Speaking from personal experience, I've used monitors (like the Dell
> 2005FPW) that report *wrong* timing modes via DDC/EDID and
> had to tweak them by hand or via xvidtune...  Or else I've googled
> modelines hoping that someone out there had already done the
> homework and figured out what the appropriate timings were.  I'd
> like to see other people spared having to do the same, and "just have
> it work" instead.

I've had a different problem, and several others have reported it I
think.  DDC/EDID are reporting good-looking timings (as far as I can
tell), but they get ignored.  Putting the equivalent modeline into
xorg.conf, the mode becomes usable.

In your xorg.conf output, do you see appropriate timings being reported
anywhere for your larger video modes?

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org