Stopping work on EGL and Xgl

Dane Rushton danerushton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 03:06:40 PDT 2005

I also am saddened at Jon's departure. Jon, I would like to thank you
for your efforts.

Due to the nature of open source, the project isn't dead. It's
hibernating, until other areas (such as input, video memory management)
get sorted out and someone gets it moving again.

I wrote a few weeks ago that I would have a go at input (I am a
professional software engineer with a couple of years experience, just
not in open-source development), and triggered quite a long thread about
how to deal with input in multi-seat situations. The goal seems to be to
produce a daemon (using HAL or whatever) which enforces policy and
notifies Xservers (Xegl and others) of which devices to use at runtime.

Unfortunately my day job is taking more time than I'd like or am paid
for, so I haven't had the time to do much yet other than research (or
play WoW on my powerbook!).

In the coming couple of weeks I intend to get some design documentation
of a possible input system available for peer review.

Cheers
Dane Rushton