Xgl/Xegl future?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Aug 21 22:01:37 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 21:08 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 19:46 -0400, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 11:55 +0200, Christian Parpart wrote:
> > >
> > > Will it be possible to do such amazing things w/o hardware-OpenGL-based
> > > X server?
> >
> > Yes. The major toolkits seem to be moving to GL backends,
>
> I can't speak for other major toolkits, but there is no current plan
> to do this for GTK+:
>
>  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2005-June/msg00166.html

Thanks for clearing this up.

> > and there are proofs of concept of GL based compositing managers.
>
> Well, the most impressive GL-based compositing manager demos have been
> the ones that Dave Reveman has been running on top of Xgl...

I know, but I'm not sure that Xgl is actually a crucial part of it:

> In order to do a good job with a GL-based compositing manager you need:
>
>  - Redirection of OpenGL and Xvideo clients

This is true whether the compositing manager is GL based or not.

>  - The ability to texture with the contents of redirected windows
>  - Decent video memory management that can handle large amounts of
>    textures.
>  - Accelerated indirect rendering and/or good cooperation between
>    multiple clients talking to the hardware.

I fail to see how Xgl would inherently make a difference for any of
these. They're properties of the GL(X) implementation.

I agree with the other advantages of a GL based X server you cite
though.