Xgl/Xegl future?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Wed Aug 24 08:49:48 PDT 2005

On Aug 22, 05 14:56:12 -0400, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 19:23 +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:

> > > This is true whether the compositing manager is GL based or not.
> >
> > But an OpenGL based Xserver can use the graphics hardware for scaling
> > and color conversion of XV surfaces (that's what I've been working on).
>
> So can a GL based compositing manager.

No. Not with current Xservers. No way to get YUV / YUY2 data in native
format. This isn't easily possible to implement, either, as the PutImage
call does not have to completely fill a Window, and RGB data can be
drawn over it afterwards as well.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __